Building Name: Jonathan Child House

Jonathan Child House. This image was taken when the house was "The Pillars," a boarding house.

Street Address: 37 South Washington Street. 14608

Present Use (2003): Edward’s Restaurant (a member of Rochester Landmark Restaurants)

Building Information

Center for Governmental Research. Seen here as the Center for Governmental Research, Inc.

Date Built: ca. 1835-1837. There was originally a rear wing that was razed in the 1920’s.

Original Owner: Jonathan Child, first mayor of Rochester

Original Use: private home

Subsequent Uses: Jonathan Child sold the mansion in the 1840's and various residents through the years occupied it. In 1885 it became "The Pillars", a fashionable boarding house. In 1920 the Washington Club occupied it. The Fourth Church of Christ Scientist acquired the building in 1933 and it was purchased by the Landmark Society in 1957. They leased it to the Bureau of Municipal Research in 1961 and later became the Rochester Health Commission. Edwards Restaurant, previously in the Academy Building at 13 South Fitzhugh Street, relocated here in early 2002.


Exterior drawing.

Interior Drawing.

Drawings of portions of the exterior, left, and interior, right, of the Jonathan Child House. Note how the columns were replicated for the interior of the house as well. Carl F. Schmidt did both of these drawings for the book Jonathan Child and His House by Carl F. and Ann Schmidt.

Design and Style: Greek Revival mansion

Architect/Builder: S.P. Hastings (possibly)

| Previous | Next |

Send comments to Webmaster
Copyright 2021
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604