Rochester Images -> Pathfinders -> Architecture -> Adaptive Reuse -> Central Presbyterian Church

Building Name: Central Presbyterian Church

Central Presbyterian Church.
Addition on left of image

New Auditorium, Central Presbyterian Church.
Auditorium dedicated in 1891

Street Address: 50 North Plymouth Avenue

Owner: Hochstein Music School

Present Use (2003): Hochstein School of Music

Building Information

Date Built: 1858. Addition added in 1891

Original Owner: The congregation was organized in 1836 as Bethel Free Church. Its first building was erected on South Washington Street. Around 1842 its name changed to Washington Street Presbyterian Church. In 1858 the congregation moved to Sophia Street (Plymouth Avenue) and changed their name to Central Presbyterian Church. The building was the site of the funerals of Frederick Douglass (1895) and Susan B. Anthony (1906).

Original Use: Church

Subsequent Uses: Acquired by Hochstein Music School in 1978

Architecture

Design and Style: Romanesque Revival

Pamphlet.

Handbill.

Program cover.

| Previous | Next |

Rochester Images | Library Home


Send comments to Webmaster
Copyright 2003
Monroe County (NY) Library System
115 South Ave., Rochester, NY 14604